Friday, October 26, 2012

The Vietnam War

         I didn't know much about the Vietnam War before this class. All I knew was that many people were against it and the United States was involved (I also knew it happened it Vietnam but that was kind of obvious). So, what do I know now?
         First of all the war was part of the United State's long running battle against communism.The "Domino Theory" stated that (like dominoes) if one more country became communist the rest were soon to follow. There were many reasons the war was so controversial. To begin with the men for the war were drafted and sent against their will.  Most of the men drafted were under twenty-one and 76% of them belonged to the lower or middle class. It was also the first living room war , which means it was the first time people were able to see what was really going on in the battle fields, the dying, hungry, and miserable people were documented and televised to families around the nation. People were able to see the horrors the war was bringing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment